Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year's Day!

Saturday 01/01/11

Typically on New Year's Day our extended family gathers at my Aunt & Uncle's house to spend the day together. But this year everyone was either working, at a wedding, or had something better to do. So I'd asked my mom if they wanted me to come over after work so we could spend the evening as a family & maybe play a game or watch a movie. Her sweet, motherly reply was, "No, not really." I felt the love.

So the 1st rolls around & I get a phone call from my dad. "What are you doing today?" I told him that since mom had indicated that they did not wish to enjoy the pleasure of my company that day, my plans were still up in the air. Some friends had invited me to see a movie, but other than that I hadn't really given it much thought. "Well I don't see why we couldn't have a nice family evening together! What time can you be here?" I said I could be there by 7:15. "Ok, but no later than that!" Again, I felt the love.

I actually got a round of applause when I walked thru the front door at 7:14. The plan was to watch a movie that I had bought my dad for Christmas & try out the new surround sound he'd gotten for my mom. I also brought over my new popcorn maker that I'd been dying to show off. New year, new toys. I'd gotten him one of my favorite movies, a fine quality film the whole family would be sure to enjoy. My sister was there & we waited for her boyfriend (note: it was okay if he came over to the house later, but not me) before starting the movie.

Let me just say in my defense, Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus is hilarious! It's a terrible movie, with a terrible plot, and terrible acting - I love it! My dad loves to watch The Soup & it's a movie Joel McHale had made fun of on the program; I thought for sure we could all enjoy it's cheesy awfulness together, in surround sound, whilst bashing on some amazing popcorn! But no. And now I am banned from ever picking the movie we watch for Family Movie Night ever again. I guess I should just be grateful I'm not banned from Family Movie Night itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment