Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy Pop Music Chart Day!

Tuesday 01/04/11

After a restless night full of strange & dramatic dreams, I woke up early and decided to be productive. I did the dishes, after which I felt I'd had enough productivity for one day. I figured I would just get a jump start on today's festivities by reading The History of Tom Thumb. I could have told you that he was a man the size of a thumb, but that would have completely exhausted my knowledge of the life and death of Mr. Thumb. As today is Tom Thumb Day, I needed a little bit more to go on. As a fairy tale lover, I don't know how it happened that I've never read the story before. Discovering that it's also the first fairy tale ever written made me even more excited!

Total lamesauce. He had boots made of mouse skin, he got Jonah'ed by a cow, he was a jester in King Arthur's court, all the attention he received made the queen jealous so he had to hide out in a snail shell... Maybe I'm spoiled by good ol' Grimm boys & by Hans, but (& pardon me for saying this) I gave it two very unenthusiastic thumbs down!

So it's back to the calendar. I notice that today is also Pop Music Chart Day. Fantastic - my friend Elena gave me the new Taylor Swift album for my birt'day & I decided to pop it in while shopping around on iTunes. I figured I could justify my song purchases by calling them "research".

Let me just say this, I want love like in a Taylor Swift song! I listened to her title track "Speak Now" on repeat for the entire day! It's about this girl who crashes a wedding to steal away the groom so he won't end up with the wrong, awful girl! I know what you're thinking, couldn't she have sent him a text the day before? Well yes, perhaps, but then you wouldn't have this amazingly inspiring, uplifting, empowering, keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat ballad! Every time I listen to it I'm nervously chewing my fingernails, hoping that he won't say yes, he'll run away now, he'll meet her when he's out of the the church by the back door!

As the girl who never speaks up, who can never say "I like you," this song truly strikes a chord with me. Belting out the lyrics in my car, emotionally pounding my fist into the steering wheel, I felt like maybe someday I could be the girl who speaks now! I also felt the need to remind the people driving around beside me that it's not polite to stare.

I haven't seen him in years, but the guy I should have married recently got engaged. At the time I knew he liked me and I liked him, but somehow we ended up involved with each other's best friends. That didn't work out obvously, but then the timing was never right & we just drifted apart. Of course I would never say or do anything now, but I wonder what would have happened if I had just taken a moment to open up to him and just say "I like you." But at the end of a day filled with nothing but Taylor Swift, I know that as much as I would like to be that girl, I never will be.

Actually, I take that back. At work we were doing inventory prep and the store's station was set on Adult Contemporary. We sang many a pop hit - everything from TLC's Waterfalls to Stevie Nick's Landslide. And, I'm ashamed to say, I may have sung part of a Justin Bieber song. I didn't mean to do it, it just sorta happened. I promise I will never do it again - or at least not around witnesses!

Capped off the day with a (2nd) McD's Diet Coke, 20 minutes of heaven in a tanning bed, & B-Movie Night with the roomie! Human Centipede was our cinematic masterpiece of choice. I strongly feel the only movie that could have possibly been worse would be The History of Tom Thumb 3-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment